Friday, March 9, 2012

"Wicked"


Can anyone remember the name of the character that Julia Roberts played in "Pretty Woman"? I've been trying to remember all evening and I just can't seem to remember. Must be getting old......
At any rate, I felt just like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman tonight. Not when she was a hooker on the street corner, or when she was replacing the steaming divits on the polo field, or when she got to go shopping on Rodeo Drive, but when she was wearing that sparkly red dress and the beautiful diamond necklace that came in the blue velvet box. 
Remember when she was sitting up in the balcony seat
listening to the music at the opera?
Well I felt just like that tonight.
I didn't have a sparkly red gown, beautiful diamonds or a balcony seat,
but I was wearing a long sparkly necklace that I got on the clearance rack at Charming Charlies..........
My sweet husband took me to see the broadway show "Wicked" tonight. 
It was my birthday present.
I don't recall ever attending such an amazing show.
We sat in a dark room with 3000 of our closest friends
and when the music started playing and the actors started singing the music started at the tips of my toes and  swirled right up to the top of my head and transported me to another time and place.  The beauty and the talent of the voices blending together made my breath intake sharply and my eyes fill with tears, just like Julia at the opera.  There were high notes that resonated in my soul and low notes that pressed against my chest until I just held my breath.

I think I have a flying monkey on my head!
 In addition to the melodic voices that filled the air, there was a visual feast for the eyes with delightful dancing,
cleverly
crafted costumes and some pretty fantastic set designs.

And the story........
Such imagination!
It was the story of the Wizard of Oz, but told from the perspective of The Good Witch and Bad Witch.   It was their story....Dorothy and Toto just got a mention.

The orchestra played beautifully.  I kept hearing the run of notes on the clarinet (the instrument I played for 6 years), the high reedy sound of the oboe and the slide of the trombone.  Took me back to my high school days.

I was mesmerized.  Transported.  And it was FUNNY too! 
Would love to watch this over and over and over again.
I so appreciate all of the talent that went into the production of this musical play. 

Thanks to my thoughtful husband for a magical gift. 
I'm going to sleep now...........Hope I get to see the show again in my dreams!

Sweet Dreams,
tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment