Saturday, July 31, 2010

What a month!

My precious Angel
July 30th

July has been an emotional roller coaster type of month!!!
We began July WAITING.....
waiting on the birth of our first grandchild.
Mia was due to arrive on July 3rd, but my daughter Jenny
was adamant that she was going to be born on July 4th.
July 4th came and went, as did the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th,
and with each day passing the anxiety and uncertainty started growing.
The 10th of July marked one week overdue
and not even one centimeter dialated
so the doc wanted Jenny to go to the hospital
to do a hormone gel procedure to hopefully
encourage some dialation.
Over 12 hours later.....still no dialation.
The nurse already had the pitosin bag out and
was ready to hook it up to Jenny's IV.
Jenny was ADAMANT that she did not want to
be induced with pitosin and thankfully her doctor
agreed to let her return home and see if she might go into labor naturally.
Unfortunately this was not to be.
Jenny returned to the hopital in the wee hours of July 13th
to go thru yet another dialation/inducement treatment.
This picture was taken around 6am Tuesday 13July.
Still hopeful that the Cytotec inducement would work.
Cytotec has a nickname of "Dynamite" so we joked that
it was taking a stick of dynamite to get Mia to be born!
Miss Mia proved to have an even stronger will than we thought since the dynamite was not successful.  By noon on the 13th the doc was giving the kids the option to keep trying the cytotec, break her water, pitosin or c-section.
Jenny just couldn't see the sense in trying pitosin and having to labor for hours, cause stress to the baby, still not dialate and have to have a c-section.  The doc tried to break her water with no success since she was not dialated enough to insert the tool she used.  So it was decided that a c-section would be performed at 6pm that evening. 
Mike and I went home to let the kids have some time alone together to prepare themselves, but less than an hour had passed when I got a call from Rafael that the c-section might be sooner and Jenny wanted me to come back in to the hospital. 
This is what greeted me when I got back to the hospital.
Mia's heart rate had begun to drop and not come completely back up with the small contractions that Jenny was having so they started preparing 
for the c-section.
Jenny kept saying over and over...."I don't want to do this anymore" and "I don't want to have a c-section".
She was taken back to surgery at 3:30pm and Mia was born at 3:58pm.
I am so proud of my daughter.  She wanted so badly to have a completely natural birth experience with no drugs.  She had been preparing herself mentally for this for months.  She did everything in her power by trying less invasive drug treatments when it became apparant that things just were not going to happen on their own.  She truly wanted the best for her baby.
Mia, of course, has taught Jenny the first in many lessons...Babies have thier own ideas about things, thier own time schedules, and moms just need to learn to be flexible!
After weeks and weeks of agonizing wait I get to hold my grandchild for the very first time.  The emotion clearly seen in my face is a mixture of elation, extreme joy and the release of days of pent up anxiety and worry. 

As you know the birth of a baby is just the beginning.

God's Blessing to you,
grammy tammy

I just had to post this picture again at the end of my story.
Is this baby girl just a perfect angel?
Can you tell that I am a berry proud gramma?
This picture was taken yesterday when she was 17 days old.
Can you see her TEETH????
Mia was born with 2 teeth situated just under the gums and started poking out the day after birth. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tam-
    Congratulations! She's beautiful. She looks like a true combination of both her parents.