Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Alaska

It's tough to know where to begin writing about my Alaskian adventure, so I guess I'll just begin at the beginning..........

The first place we visited was Glaicer Bay.

The glaciers were not quite as big as I expected,
but they were still pretty magnificent.

If you look closely at the picture above you can
see a large pointy piece of ice that is starting to fall into the ocean.


Now can you see it?
We were standing on the deck and heard this loud CRACK
which would signal that glacier calving is about to begin.
I just happened to have my camera set to take
multiple pictures with a single snap, so I was
able to get the whole process of the large chunk of ice falling off.



There were 18 pictures in this sequence, but
I'm only posting 5 here.


I am constantly in awe of the beautiful things
that I see around me. That little chunk of ice
sure did make a huge splash!
You can see the remnants of another similiar fall
in the right middle of the above photo.


The first Alaskian port we visited was Juneau.
Juneau is a pretty little city which can only be accessed
by sea or by air. I believe we were told that there is
about 24 miles of highway....12 one way from the city
and 12 the other way. There are NO ROADS that connect
Juneau to any other Alaskian cities.

As I have said earlier......my first stop was the quilt shop!

AFTER that we boarded a helicopter and flew over Mendenhal
Glacier. I've never been in a helicopter before so it was quite



a thrilling experience in itself, but to fly over such beauty was
really breathtaking

Out one window there was ICE and out the other window




was a breathtaking valley of green and blue.


The helicoptor LANDED on the glacier and we got
to get out and walk around.



Carefully walk around...........


and drink very chilly glacier water !


Glaciers are VERY COLD! (go figure!)
Even tho it doesn't look like it in this picture
I was VERY happy to be cold!
It was 115 degrees when I left Phoenix.....
We WENT to Alaska to be cold!!!!!



So where to go to warm up?
Hummmmm..............How about the
RED DOG SALOON?
While primarily a hang-out for touristy "boat people" now,


The Red Dog Saloon has been around since the
early gold mining days.
We asked our friendly bartender the meaning
of all of the marked dollar bills that were tacked up
around all of the mirrors in the joint.


It seems that miners would come into town,
get supplies, hit the bar and what $$$ they had left
they would print thier name on it and ask the bartender
to please keep it to ensure that they would have drinking
money the next time they hit town.
This bar featured a old timer playing bawdy tunes on a piano
and singing along, sawdust on the floor and tons of memoriablia
hanging from every nook and cranny in the place.
Check out this wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dog_Saloon
If you ever make it to the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau,
make sure and ask the bartender to serve you up a Duck Fart........
It'll warm you right up..........I promise.
Come on back tomorrow and read about our
exciting adventures in Sitka............
We had a WILD time there...........





No comments:

Post a Comment