Saturday, April 18, 2009

More T-shirt quilts


T-shirt quilts are full of such memories for people.
The t-shirt squares below symbolize am important moments in the quiltmakers life.
I had the pleasure of quilting this top that the quiltmaker pieced.
This lady graduated in 1955. Hence the Disney 55 shirt.
She is a grandmother, plays bunko, loves to shop, and used to work at a firecracker booth in Oklahoma when she was growing up.
There is a square to symbolize all of these events.
She has a 2 squares to show where she has worked.
She has a square that shows the popular song when she was a teenager. There is a square that shows the re-enactment of the Oklahoma Land rush that reminds her that her grandfather participated in the ACTUAL land rush.
Numerous sports teams are included.
I could go on and on, but you get the idea.
It was a great quilt.



This next quilt is one that I did pieced, appliqued and quilted.

A mom came to me and asked me to make a quilt from her daughters cheerleading shirts.


The shirts start out in Junior high and end up with college.




Truly a timeline of this girls life.

I stabalized each shirt with interfacing, then cut them into squares.

Many of the shirts were not big enough to fill the square so I appliqued many of them onto a foundation square. (It seems as the girl got older her shirts got smaller........go figure!)






One of the squares feature both the little souffe shorts AND the top that was worn!



My client wanted the quilt to be quilted in an all-over pattern instead of
each square being quilted individually. So this is what the back of the quilt looks like:



I spent the morning in my garden.
It is a glorious day here in Phoenix today.

2 comments:

  1. I love the t-shirt quilts you have made. Thanks for sharing the idea for what to do about small shirts that don't fit the square. I've always wanted to make one of these, but had that exact dilemma, so I didn't proceed. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those small shirts do present a problem, but the foundation square works pretty well. One further note.........make sure and stabalize the small pieces BEFORE you applique them onto the stabalized foundation square. Even the smallest ones get rather stretchy! It makes it a tiny bit more bulky, but preferable to strechiness that can lead to tucks!

    Looking forward to seeing your t-shirt quilt soon!

    ReplyDelete