Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Great Tomato Race




I spent last week in San Diego visiting with my parents. The weather was beautiful and just perfect for planting flowers and such. The above are pictures of mom and dad with thier tomato plants. One planted in a pot....(to be moved to a bigger pot soon) and another planted in the Topsy Turvy Tomato planter. I named it the "Great Tomato Race". I'm anxious to see which tomato plant does better. Altho it is NOT a controlled experiment.......they both have different varieties of tomato plants............
Dad has a Boxcar Willy heirloom variety (named after Willy Nelson) and mom has a grape tomato plant. It'll still be fun to see what effect the growing method has on the tomato plant.
Hopefully they will send me pictures!
While in San Diego I read an article in the local paper about a man who decided to "help" in these hard economic times by growing his own tomatoes. He produced 17 tomatoes during the growing season, but spent the equivilant of $64 PER TOMATO on soil, soil amendments, fertilizer, etc. YIKES! Let's hope that is NOT the case with mom and dad's tomatos!

No comments:

Post a Comment